Saturday, October 15, 2011

How to Draw a Warrior Dwarf. A Project for a Young Artist

This free  printable drawing worksheet is an easy drawing project for the artist of any age.
This is a project that many young artists will enjoy drawing.

This can be used by parents and teachers in class or at home. It can be an extra activity to fill in time or sent home as an extra project.

FIRST, A WORD OF ENCOURAGEMENT
Learning how to draw takes practice and time. If your drawings do not turn out just the way you had hoped they would do not give up.  A real artist is harder on himself than anybody else. Frustration just  shows you have the talent but skill is different. So practice and draw every day to develop your skill. Visit this blog often and try some other projects. I am always adding new ones and I am sure you will find some you like.

To print the worksheet below just highlight it and send it to your printer or save to your device to print later. If you have problems printing see the "HOW TO PRINT" tab above.


How to draw a dwarf warrior
PRINTABLE NOTES

This dwarf is not hard to draw and if you keep adding little touches it can be a cool picture. Being a fantasy dwarf if you make any mistakes no one can tell because that is maybe how it is supposed to be

I start with an outline of the dwarf.  Since he is a fantasy you don't have to worry about proper body proportions and dimensions  The proportions for a dwarf is different, using the head as a measure the Dwarf stands about four heads tall. I use blocky squares to do an outline of the body and then go over them to develop the drawing. 

The head is larger than normal but the eyes are still halfway between the top of the head and the chin. I draw a faint line down the center of the face to keep everything in the right places. The eyebrows are bushy on the top and smooth underneath. I gave him white eyebrows because I thought he was getting too dark.
The nose is pudgy, I draw it as three circles; one big in the center and two smaller ones on the sides then I shade them until everything looks right.

The mouth is easy since his big mustache covers the upper lip. I make the lower lip by drawing two circles one next to the other then connect them with a wavy upper curved line, then I shade underneath it. 

He is an older dwarf and I gave him wrinkles around the eyes.  The eyes are large because I think dwarfs live in mines, so they need big eyes. Start with the circles and then draw the eyelids over them.

You may need to practice the hands on a separate piece of paper and even trace them onto the final project. The hands are really a few short lines. Don't forget to put the shiny spot in early so you don't color over it.
I gave him a wooden shield and a battle ax but you can add different props like a sword or lance or club, or a cooking pot. He is a warrior so I put a few dents in his helmet.

Don't make the boots too black, use gray for most of it and add a few touches of black for the shape.
Draw the fur lightly using the pencil to make swift sweeps out and away from the top of the boots; as you sweep the pencil out and away lift it up so the line gets thinner as it moves.
I did an illustration where I put my dwarf in a world of a forest, but you can create your own world maybe a cave or volcano or pub, it is up to you. Have fun.


Watercolor painting of a Warrior Dwarf
I did this illustration in watercolor. It took about three hours and I really enjoyed painting it. The only problem was that my son says it is not a dwarf but it is a lawn gnome.

(c) Adron
_________________________

These worksheets are free to print but your gift will help keep this blog going.

Choose your gift amount.

Thank you for visiting my blog.  I hope this project is fun and helpful for you.  To find more like it see the labels on the right or choose one of the favorites in the left sidebar.  I am sure you will find one you like.

Adron

Use the links below to share this post.

1 comment: